Review: Dark and Lovely Au Naturale Anti-Shrinkage Cleansing Conditioner A La Creme

Since becoming natural, Dark and Lovely's Au Naturale line was something I had wanted to try for awhile. But in the beginning, I could not find the line in a store near me. 

When I finally was able to get my hands on something, I was excited to try anything. Since I was back in Georgia for a visit and forgot to pack shampoo or conditioner, I thought a cleansing conditioner would be a good idea. 

Well, to be honest, I thought a co wash would be a good idea. But figured I would try something new especially since it was the first time I found the Au Naturale Anti-Shrinkage Cleansing Conditioner in stores.

The first time I used this shampoo I was not terribly impressed. However, I decided to give it a few more tries before I made a final judgement.

Now according to softsheen-carson.com:

Curls feeling womp, womp? Our Cleansining Conditioner a la Crème is just what your curls ordered: hydration elation! This silicone-free cowash cleanses without the squeaks and replenishes dry, dehydrated curls and coils with nourishing moisture. Made gentle and lightweight for frequent use.

Sounds pretty good, right?

As the replacement for your shampoo, conditioner, and detangler it sounds perfect. For those ingredient readers, it is also free of parabens, mineral oil, and sulfates. Anti-shrinkage is just the cherry on top of what sounds like a great product.




As I continued using the product, I felt like it was drying out my hair.  This is a problem I have had with other cleasning conditioners.  Usually the idea sounds better than the product.  

I used most of the bottle and came to the conclusion the only redeeming qualities I found with this product are that it has a pump dispenser and it did help with shrinkage a bit.  However, I still had some shrinkage so it wasn't a holy grail product for anti shrinkage.

I couldn't even finish the bottle to make this an empties post, so it is safe to say that I wouldn't recommend this product to anyone.


I am not completely discouraged from trying more products from the Au Naturale line, but I will admit that it isn't the start of a great relationship.  You only get one chance to make a first impression.  Good thing I believe in second chances.

Comments