The Story of an Army Girlfriend: I Got Married:-)

On October 19, 2011, I became an army wife.  Two days later, it still is weird to look at my finger and see a wedding ring or to identify Akeem as my husband.  Even as I type this up, I'm grinning hard to myself and looking around like I am writing some made up event.  But it is true, I am no longer Kristin Shannon and it is the weirdest thing for me.


Akeem and I got married at the courthouse in Kentucky and it was the longest day.  I rode up to Kentucky with my mother at 3:30 in the morning after working an almost 10 hour shift.  There wasn't much time for us to even take a moment to bask in the moment because we had to run all over Radcliff and Elizabethtown to do paperwork (which there is still more I have to do).

Even when the day was over, we were both so tired that we could barely stay awake.  The next morning, he was up at 5:23 in the morning (I remember because he told me I failed him with my alarm, which wasn't true) and left for PT.  It sucked because for the last year, it felt as if I was saying goodbye to him shortly after I just said hello.

I rode back to Georgia with my mom a few hours later and kept looking at my hand.  While the ring was not my "fantasy" ring, I smile a little harder at it after reading a text from my sister:

"...it will grow on you for sure. Plus when you realize what it really symbolizes...You like it more."
I'm not usually the sappy type or the one to share my softer side, but I look at my ring and smile all the time.  I have been through a lot in regards to my relationships with men: from my father to my husband and every guy in between.  While it sounds so cliche, I feel like my prayers were answered when I met Akeem (though I didn't think that when we first started dating).

The feeling of someone who loves you despite your flaws, who will help you grow, and who makes you feel loved is a high I could not explain and have never felt before.  At almost 24  years old, I am still learning how to process emotions that aren't immediately anger and sadness.  So it is bizarre to me to feel tears running down my cheeks as I type this post.

Akeem and I have been through a lot in our time together.  We have fought, we have broken up, and we have tried to walk away from each other.  I don't know the key to happiness or what makes for a successful relationship, but I know whatever got us to this point worked for us.


There is no true point to this post other to get out my jumbled thoughts out.  I am married. If someone would of told me a year and a half ago I would be married, I would of laughed in their face.  If someone would of told me 2 years ago, I would ever be in love, I would laughed even harder.  But they say if you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.  Because 2 years ago, marriage or love was not in my plans and here I am.

While it will be awhile before I can move up to Kentucky (marriage won't pay for my two tickets and other misc. bills), I am looking forward to the future.  I finally feel like I found a path to start my life on and I am ready to see what happens next:-)

Thanks to everyone who showed me love on Facebook and Twitter!


Comments

  1. Hi Kris, Wanted to take a moment and express my thoughts to you. You may not care, but i wanted you to know, that i'm happy that Akeem found you. I watched your video's, read your blogs ( not stalking you...lol, just curious) And i think you are a amazing woman, and just what he needed to get his life on track. I pray that you both get all the happiness that you deserve. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment