Rogaine at 21!?

Hey ya'll! So if you have seen my newest YouTube video, you have learned my secret. I use Rogaine! So I wanted to provide ya'll with some information.

I curently have a bald patch on the nape of my neck. While I am unsure of the exact reason it is there, I have quite a few theories:

-Damage from home relaxer
-A professional hairdresser who left the relaxer on too long
-Stress

While I do have a dominate place of baldness, I do have other areas that have thinned out. I have tried Rogaine before but was really about taking it every day. This time around, I have been really good about taking it twice a day, every like the box instructs. Whilte they tell you that it may be a while before you see noticeable growth, about two months in I already see a difference. I'm sure there are other factors, but I think Rogaine is a dominating factor. Check out my video to see where my starting point was: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FZ4HqZNIlg

Eventually, I will show you where I am in a few months.

So what is Minoxidil?

According to Wikipedia:
Minoxidil (trade names Rogaine and Regaine) is a vasodilator medication known for its ability to slow or stop hair loss and promote hair regrowth. It is available over the counter for treatment of androgenic alopecia, among other baldness treatments, but measurable changes disappear within months after discontinuation of treatment.

History:
Minoxidil was first used exclusively as an oral drug (trade name Loniten) to treat high blood pressure. It was, however, discovered to have an interesting side-effect: the ability to reverse or slow down the balding process. Upjohn Corporation produced a topical solution that contained 2% minoxidil to be used to treat baldness and hair loss, under the brand name Rogaine in the United States and Canada, and Regaine in Europe and the Asia-Pacific. Treatments usually include a 5% concentration solution that is designed for men, whereas the 2% concentration solutions are designed for women. The patent on minoxidil expired on February 13, 1996.[1]

In 2007 a new foam-based formulation of 5% minoxidil was shown to be as effective as the liquid-based treatment for male pattern baldness.[2]

Side-Effects:
As a drug to combat hair loss, the most common side effect is itchy scalp. Alcohol present in topical preparations may dry the scalp, resulting in dandruff.[6] Side-effects of oral minoxidil may include swelling of the face and extremities, rapid and irregular heartbeat, lightheadedness, cardiac lesions, and focal necrosis of the papillary muscle and subendocardial areas of the left ventricle.[7] There have been cases of allergic reactions to minoxidil or the non-active ingredient propylene glycol, which is found in some forms of topical Rogaine.

Ironically, hair loss is a common side-effect of minoxidil treatment.[8]. Manufacturers note minoxidil induced hair loss is a common side effect and describe the process as 'shedding'. Although this phenomena demonstrates minoxidil is indeed affecting hair follicles, manufacturers offer no guarantee the new hair loss will be replaced with hair growth.


Application:
Minoxidil products involve contact with hair strands, which may cause problems with hair styling since minoxidil must be in an alcohol solution. To keep the minoxidil solution from affecting normal hair styling applications, it can be washed out after at least 40 minutes, although this will decrease the hair regrowth effect. For maximum effect, the solution should be in contact with the scalp for four hours before being washed out. If the solution is not a problem, hair styling devices can be used as soon as the minoxidil solution has dried.

Minoxidil solutions are sold under many brand names. Many high priced as well as generic brands of minoxidil regrowth solutions exist and do not differ in their active ingredient or concentration (except differing versions within each brand).


So far I have yet to see a negative side to the product. When I get my hair relaxed, I apply Rogaine hours before I get the relaxer. I usually wait about 48 hours before I start reusing the product again.

Check out Rogaine's website if you would like more information.

Comments

  1. I have been using herbal shampoo from last six months and pretty impressed with the results.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment