Movie Review/Response: The Backup Plan


Jennifer Lopez returns to the big screen in this romantic comedy about love, pregnancy, and all the drama in between.

In her first movie since the birth of her twins, Lopez returns to a role she is comfortable with and her audience is most receptive to see her in. I must admit, I wasn't too thrilled to go see this movie. Like so many others, I thought her career was pretty much over and that this movie would be like watching a trainwreck: covering my eyes and peeking through my fingers.

However, The Backup Plan was relatively good, a great movie to watch with a girlfriend or two. While Lopez's role seemed a bit "been there, done that," the rest of the cast really brought forth the comedy of the movie.

Stan (Alex O'Loughlin) is the diary farmer that captures Zoe's (Lopez) heart and is the lovable, naive character of the movie. While Stan is easy on the eyes, his too patient and understanding qualities are a bit boring and typical. Even with Zoe's pregnancy hormones and her own personal level of crazy, Stan still stays and remains the ideal guy. While that is great and all, I like a little diversity in my movies: drama, death, laughter, etc.

While death and drama shouldn't be expected with a romantic comedy, there was plenty to laugh at during the movie. Michaela Watkins (Mona) and Anthony Anderson definitely bring forth the comedy with their uncensored views of parenthood.

The climax of comedic scenes is the home birth of one of the support group memebers. Without saying too much, it was definitely something to laugh at and scene to cover the eyes and ears of any children in the room.

While the movie has it's cliche moments, overall I was not disappointed with the movie in it's entirety. There is a little bit of something for every type of woman who watches this movie: mothers, girlfriends, lesbians, those with ticking clocks, etc.

I recommend this movie for any woman who wants to get a good laugh with some of her friends, or at least to any woman who has birthed a child.

Comments

  1. This surprises me. J. Lo has had some major flops. I think the best movie I saw her in was The Cell. Perhaps I will have to check this one out after all! Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment