Movie Review/Response: Killers


So I'm a little late with this one...I saw Killers on Saturday and I have to say this movie falls safely in the middle between a fail and a great movie.

Like so many movies I go to see with friends, it is a movie that wasn't my first choice amongst the current movies playing at my small town theater. However, it wasn't at the bottom of my list either.

Katherine Heigl, who plays Jen, reminds me of a younger, taller, blonder version of Jennifer Aniston. Meaning that she plays the same tired ass roles in every movie and stupidly expects the audience not to notice. Once again she plays a work minded almost lame woman whose love life isn't exactly ideal (Have you seen 27 Dresses and Knocked Up?).

Jen meets and eventually marries Spencer (Ashton Kutcher); however, her perfect little world is soon turned upside down when suddenly all of her friends and neighbors are on $20 million dollar payoff mission to kill her husband. With the exception of the end (which was still lame), there was no real surprises in the movie.

I went to see this movie with two of my friends and we got a couple of laughs. However, he was obviously drunk and she sat behind me so I can't really judge how authentic the laughs were.

Ultimately, I thought the movie was a little Mr. and Mrs. Smith, The Bourne Identity, and Knight and Day (which looks more interesting than Killers) all thrown into one script.

Ashton Kutcher did a good job not playing his once signature, dumbass characters, but when your leading lady is Heigl.........there is only so much you can do. There were SOME funny moments, but the action scenes seemed short lived.

Honestly, the best part of the movie was Catherine O'Hara's character. She played Heigl's alcoholic mother, who was sort of in her own world at times. While alcoholism isn't funny, there is something that amuses me about a woman who drinks her wine from a coffee cup and cures her hangovers by drinking from a massive pitcher of Bloody Mary for breakfast.

Like I mentioned earlier, this movie wasn't a complete disaster but it surely doesn't fall under the category of me running to get the dvd later. Killers is passable, even average. It is one of those movies you can't really recommend but you can't completely discourage others from seeing either. So go see it and tell me what you think.

Follow my blog with bloglovin

Comments