Another Weight Loss Journey: The Sauna Suit (Gold Gym)

So after many failed attempts at trying to get in shape, I finally got my act together 2 weeks ago. YAY! One of the things I decided to try was a sauna suit.  I had seen them many times but never really felt the need to try one.  After working in a sporting goods store for a bit and many trips down the exercise aisle of Walmart, I decided to go for it.

I had some ideas of the purpose of the sauna suit but after some research it isn't exactly what I had hoped it would be.  I had my first 30 minute workout with it on Monday and I was POURING sweat when I was done.  My workout wasn't even intense, but the inside of my suit felt like someone had dumped water in it.  While sweating is a good thing, it doesn't mean it will result in the ultimate slim down.  So here is some quick info to keep in mind if you are deciding to try a sauna suit
  1. Sauna suits are typically made of PVC (vinyl), rubber, or coated nylon cloth.
  2. The closures at waist, neck, wrists and ankles are all elasticated to help retain body heat and moisture within the garment.
  3. The rise in body temperature and the excessive sweating caused by wearing the suit cause a rapid loss in body weight by loss of water, like when a wrestler or boxer use it to change weight class.
Pros:
  • Rids body of toxins
  • Believed to promote calorie burning and increase in metabolic rate
  • Comes in many sizes
  • Can create immediate, short term results
Cons:
  • Can cause dehydration.
  • Can cause heat stroke or death if not used properly
  • Will not create long term results alone
  • Sweat cause suit to stick to body and may be uncomfortable to work out in
  • Some believe that once you rehydrate, effects of sauna suit are reversed.

What I think:
Sauna suits are a great thing to try for light, preferably indoor workouts.  They should not be used in extreme heat or for extreme workouts.  You should drink water in moderation while using the suit to avoid any extreme dehydration.  Also, make sure you are hydrated BEFORE working out.  Don't use the suit excessively, or bank on it to give you long term results.  However, use it as a tool to motivate.

My suit is the Gold Gym's Sauna Suit from Walmart. Appx $7.77
The size I am wearing is L/XL (I am 5'8 and about 200lb)






Disclaimer: I am not a personal trainer or a fitness/nutrition expert.  This is my personal opinion and what I have found out from personal research.

 

Comments

  1. It is really important to wear proper exercise outfit when doing workouts. This could be help you to be safe from accidents and to make you feel comfortable as you do exercises. If you are a neophyte going to a gym, ask a gym trainer about it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment