Hair Experiment: Garnier HerbaShine and Clairol Textures &Tones

So I've been wanting to do something dramatic with my hair for awhile.  I really wanted to cut it, but since I am not very trusting of anyone with scissors, I decided to dye my hair.

For months, I waited for my hair to be "healthy" before I did anything.  But then I realized I'd be waiting forever for "healthy" hair.  Now, of course I wanted to go to a professional to dye my hair.  However, other bills would not allow that to be an option.  So against my mother's many passionate objections, I dyed my hair myself. This is how it came out.

I had previously dyed my hair with a rinse and a semi-permanent (years ago for both).  But since my hair was so dark, I knew that I had to go with a permanent dye.  So I stumbled across Garnier HerbaShine in the color Copper Mahogany Brown (645).  I was suckered into the whole pitch about bamboo:
Introducing Garnier Herbashine, the only haircolor product with Bamboo extract. Herbashine improves the condition of hair by fortifying the hair cuticle while wrapping it in radiant, shiny color. Hair looks and feels stronger for radiant color that's truly shiny and luminous.
Designed like a beauty elixir, its luscious cream texture is both rich and silky. Easy to apply, it provides a sensation of intense care and comfort during coloring. Thanks to a perfect balance of the formula components, the results are quick - Herbashine works in just 10 minutes. The color is radiant and shiny and grays are covered naturally.
 Plus the box stated that it did not have ammonia.  Now,this may sound dumb, but I didn't know what that meant exactly only that it was bad for it to be present in the product.  For those of you like me, ammonia is bad in hair dye because it is corrosive to the hair shaft. 


So I applied the hair color and this is what happened:



So clearly not much really happened to my hair with the Garnier HerbaShine*.  With the exception of a small patch of hair (that my camera wouldn't pick up), my hair color looked very much the same.  So I decided to go with the Clairol Textures & Tones.  I had read a review on it and since it is coloring meant for women of color, I thought it would actually take to my hair.  It is harder to go from darker to light.

*The HerbaShine is not permanent, it supposedly washes out in 28 washes.

So the very next day I bought the Clairol Textures & Tones in CherryWood (4RC). I know you aren't supposed to dye your hair back to back, but I'm hard headed and impatient.  One thing I did really love about this box is that the gloves were the latex type as opposed to the loose plastic.  It included a conditioner, but unlike the Herbashine, it was not specifically for hair color.  It was the Pantene Intensive Conditioner for women of color.  Ever since I posted a video about Pantene, I've heard nothing but bad things. So I washed my hair with Carol's Daughter Rosemary Mint Shampoo and conditioned it with One n' Only Argan Oil Moisture Repair Conditioner.  The HerbaShine only instructed me to condition, while the Clairol instructed me to shampoo and condition.

I also used a processing cap, while waiting to wash out the dye.  Here are my results:







If the light caught my hair the right way, you could see the color.  Overall, the color was not immediately obvious.  So against better judgment, I decided to dye it one more time: 3rd time's a charm.  This time I waited a week.










I would say, I'm relatively happy with the results.  My roommate said she liked it and she would be the first to tell me something looked wrong.  Now, time to prepare for some serious hot oil treatments


Comments