The Story of an Army Girlfriend: What's Next?

On Thursday, April 7, 2011, my boyfriend graduated from AIT.  I think after all the drama and the long distance, I allowed myself to build up this idea that everything would end in a fairy tale sort of way.  It sounds childish, but as you go through a relationship with a man in the beginning of his military career, your conversations change.

You find yourself talking about marriage more and kids and a future that you may have never thought about until he joined the military.  Not that you didn't picture a future with him, but before your time apart, you didn't really have to think about a time without him.

Months before Akeem graduated, I had visions of a proposal. The type that would make me bury my face in my hands and cry.  I know it sounds lame, but something about my relationship just allowed me to have sappy moments.  I never envisioned a elaborate wedding, in fact, I was sure me and Akeem would have a small courthouse wedding (that's a whole other story).

The end of AIT clicked in my head as something that meant we would be together and ride off into the sunset like some princess and her prince in a Disney movie.  But unfortunately, reality will always outweighs fantasy.

Today, Akeem finally left his AIT post to head to his duty station and I still don't know when he will be back.  We have talked about marriage, but thing is he isn't coming home to sweep me off my feet and whisk me off to a new life.  At least not anytime soon, I'm expecting.  That's okay, but it does leave me in a weird state of mind of "what's next?"

The other day he retweeted,"Hope that God see that me and her are meant to be together!!!!Can't stop thinking about her!!!"  I looked at the tweet and smiled, then I closed my eyes and prayed for the same thing.  At the end of the day all relationships have their battles, but dealing with one with a military half................well those battles are very unique.  I've spent the last 2 months literally waiting on him and now I see that life may force my hand in a different direction.


I still love my soldier and still plan to ride this nauseating ride until the end, but I'm ready for this "what's next?" question to quickly become a final resting spot of our realationship............marriage or at least living in the same city or state for more than a couple of months:-)








Comments