EMPTIES: Neutrogena Ageless Intensives Tone Correcting Daily Moisturizer

So this is an old empty, but an empty none the less.  Like many woman, I suffer from discoloration on my face.  Whether it is acne scars or just my skin being difficult, random dark spots plague my face especially on my check area and a random line that crosses the bridge of my nose.

Now I've tried a few tone correcting products, from skin bleach to various moisturizers.  Unfortunately, I've yet to find that holy grail product.  After passing this product many times at the drugstore, I decided to finally swallow the price (approx. $19) and purchase the Neutorgena Ageless Intensives Tone Correcting Daily Moisturizer.
Outside of the price, one of the first things I noticed was the high SPF.  One thing about tone correcting products, they usually tell you to stay out of the sun or to apply sunblock along with the product.  Given the fact that I don't want 20 layers of product on my face, I am glad that this product had a high SPF.  While the huge SPF level was great, the small size of the bottle........not so much.  One ounce of product for almost 20 dollars in a drugstore!? That is crazy!

Now before I get too much into my opinion, let me give you some details first.

According to the Neutorgena website:
   

Ageless Intensives® Tone Correcting Daily Moisturizer SPF 30 features powerful ingredients for brighter, more radiant skin, noticeably more even skin tone and diminished look of dark spots.

The stabilized Vitamin C helps reduce the look of dark spots and visibly evens skin tone, Retinol
SA works continuously to renew the look of skin throughout the day, and Helioplex® provides superior protection against skin aging UVA rays and helps prevent future discoloration.

  • Non-comedogenic  
  • Light fragrance
  • Available in Untinted and Tinted
The five active ingredients in this product are:
  • Avobenzone 3%- is an oil soluble ingredient used in sunscreen products to absorb the full spectrum of UVA rays
  • Homosalate 4%- is an organic compound used in some sunscreens. It is an ester formed from salicylic acid and 3,3,5-trimethylcyclohexanol, a derivative of cyclohexanol.
  • Octisalate 5%-a substituted salicylate that absorbs ultraviolet light in the UVB range, used as a sunscreen.
  • Octocrylene 5%-it is a relatively weak sunscreen. Used alone it is inadequate for either UVB or UVA protection. On the other hand, octocrylene is very stable and it both protects and augments other UV absorbers while improving their uniform skin coating.
  • Oxybenzone 5%-It is used as an ingredient in sunscreen and other cosmetics because it absorbs UVB and short-wave UVA (ultraviolet) rays.
Now what I find to be comical is that all of the active ingredients for this product are for sun protection purposes.  However, the big sell on the packing is for Retinol SA and "stablized" Vitamin C.  Two things obviously not listed in the active ingredients (regular retinol is listed in the inactive ingredients).

According to the Neutrogena website, ingredients may not be fully accurate, up to date, reliable, error free, or complete.  They state that you should look at the packaging for the most accurate list of ingredients.  This I find to be ridiculous.  How does a major corporation not have a correct list of information on their website as that of their packaging?  That sounds like they are trying to cover their basis if they are caught in a lie. Unfortunately, I don't have the original packaging, so I couldn't tell you if the ingredients are the same or not.

While researching for this post, I found some interesting information about retinol and vitamin c.  However, to avoid making this long I will link two interesting posts at the end of this particular post. 

So overall what do I think of this product?

I had mixed feelings throughout the entire time I used it.  It wasn't the most moisturizing moisturizer, but that is not a huge issue for me since I have oily/combination skin.  I felt like I say a difference in my skin, however looking back I don't know how much of that was contributed to other things I was doing at the time.  There isn't much product, and like many reviews have stated you don't get all the product without opening up the container.  The pump is nice, but how many other products use a pump as well?

Overall, the product was good and did it's job. But the ultimate question is would I repurchase it? And I would have to say..........

NO


Besides the fact that the price is a little steep for a drugstore product, it wasn't really worth it.  After I had stopped using it for a few weeks, my skin reverted back to it's previous, dark spotted self.  In addition, with everything I have read and the ingredients being more focused on sunscreen, I think I would do better investing my money somewhere else.  A few weeks ago, I would have said this was a maybe, but there is no point in lying to myself.  Also, if you have dry skin, this isn't going to do much for you on the moisturizing end.  It may be worth it if you plan to use the continuously, but breaks in its usage will be evident in you appearance.
Retinol Article:
http://www.ehow.com/about_5449767_retinol-sa.html

Vitamin C Article:
http://www.ehow.com/about_4572412_what-chemical-formula-vitamin-c.html



   



Comments