Kony Video, Flour Bombers, Trayvon Martin, and Ass Backward People

I saw this video on the Facebook page of a former high school teammate.  As a black female, I have faced my own share of racism.  However, I couldn't imagine the prejudice young black men have to face on a daily basis.

Usually, I avoid the racism conversation because everything is not always about race and I don't want to be one of those black people who makes it seem that way. But there are times when you can't avoid the conversation.  In the words of one writer, racism is "America's elephant that never seems to leave the room."

The death of Trayvon Martin is a tragedy, not just because a young boy was killed.  But because he was murdered for being "suspicious" simply because he was in a hoodie, for being black, for simply being faced with ignorance. No one will probably ever know exactly what happened right before Trayvon's death, but the fact that a man walks away free with an unquestioned excuse of "self defense" sickens me.

In a society where a celebrity has the option to "consider" pressing charges against a flour bomber, but a family of a murdered boy is not even given any sort of justice seems backwards to me.  What is even more baffling to me is that when the Kony video surfaced, everyone one was vocal about it.  But when a black kid is gunned down and his killer isn't even arrested, it seems only part of the crowd is left shouting in outrage.

Racism is still alive.  Unfortunately, while some of us take it too far (George Zimmerman) many of us have turned a blind eye to it all.  Well, unless it involves events in 3rd world countries, not our own backyard.

The writer mentioned above wrote this article, check it out.

Comments