Kooking with Kris: Flatiron Steak with Chocolate Wine Sauce

So I know I have been M.I.A. for awhile but I am finally refocused and back in effect.  Recently, I have been on a mission to mix it up in the kitchen. "Kooking with Kris" will be posts on recipes I've found, tried, tweeked, and/or made up.

So to kick of my new series, I cooked a recipe I found on my iPhone app "All Recipes," which you can also find here.  Unfortunately, I could not find a some ingredients so I substituted a couple of things.

Ingredients I used:
  • 4 (5 ounce) flatiron steaks (about medium thickness)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • coarse sea salt to taste
  • 1 tablespoon grounded white pepper
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon minced shallot
  • 1/4 cup port wine
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 cup beef stock
  • 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
  • about 1/3 (1 ounce) square bittersweet chocolate
  1. I used a little bit more than a tablespoon of olive oil (but the recipe recommends a tablespoon).  Drizzle olive oil over both sides of the steaks as well as enough to thinly coat the bottom of the pan.  I personally recommend a stainless steel pan because non-stick never cooks as well (at least not for me).  Sprinkle steaks with sea salt and grounded pepper.  
  2. Heat olive oil in the skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add the steaks, and cook to your desired degree of doneness, 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Once done, remove the steaks from the skillet and keep warm.
  3. Stir in the minced shallot, and cook for 1 minute. Pour in the port and balsamic vinegar. Simmer until the port reduces to the consistency of chocolate syrup, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the beef stock and rosemary, and return to a simmer. Once the sauce has begun to simmer, whisk in the chocolate until it melts and slightly thickens the sauce. Pour sauce over steaks to serve. 
Final Verdict:
I used 3 squares of the chocolate which may have been too much.  To compensate I added a little more balsamic and wine but I should of added a little more stock. I had added more chocolate to factor for the extra meat.  In the end, the chocolate was a little more than I would of liked to have tasted. 

Despite my failure to properly measure. It is a recipe I would recommend trying and would definitely try it again with better ingredient measurements.


The cooking process in pictures:







On the side: Sour Cream/Chives Mashed Red Potatoes and Roasted Garlic Roma Tomatoes

 
 

Comments