Hawaii Life: Sunrise Hike at Lanikai (Picture Heavy)


I had first heard about Lanikai from my girlfriend Yadira.  She mentioned it when I told her my friend Dorian wanted to do Koko Head.  After Dorian and I woke up too late to do Lanikai during her visit, I immediately put this hike on my Hawaii bucket list.

So this weekend, I woke up at 4 in the morning to finally get my sunrise hike.  Unfortunately, the hike wasn't as easy as I was hoping for but definitely not as bad as Koko Head.


Our hike started off as a trio, but the climax ended in a twosome.  The initial climb up is hard only because it is all just a slope of sliding dirt and rocks.  So coming down can be tricky also at the entrance/exit point.

There are a few good resting spots before you make it to the first pillbox.  My out of shape behind stopped at every single one of them.  But the best part of this hike is that even if you don't have the ability to make it to the top, the view is still beautiful all the way up.  The pictures above were from the first stop.  

While the clouds didn't want me to get my ideal sunrise hike, it was still amazing taking the whole view in.




The third member of our group had to stop at the second big stop. Unfortunately, the height started to get to her, so we pressed on. I almost felt guilty, but I was committed to making it to the top.

I had to laugh because at each stopping point, Yadira (I did the hike with her and her friend Deanna) would tell me it gets easier.  Then I would look up and see a steep part of the climb or what looked like a narrow path.  I kept telling her she was lying but despite my moments of wanting to say, "Screw it," I kept climbing up.


There is another pillbox a bit higher on the trail. You can see it in a few shots. But the sun was really starting to kick it up in the heat department; therefore, we decided to take our sweaty, tired, and hungry behinds to breakfast.

The climb down is a tad bit dangerous because it is a lot of sloping dirt and loose rocks.  Plus, as the day breaks, more people are coming up and you are trying to pass them in the safest way possible in some sections that are more narrow.

Overall, I am happy to say I hiked Lanikai and almost want to do it again.  We still have a few more months on the island, so we will see.


I obviously suggest climbing Lanikai early so you can see the sunset.  Also, bring water. I don't understand why I go on these hikes and see so many empty handed people.  It is too hot for all of that nonsense.

I have at least two more hikes I will post about in the upcoming weeks: Lulumahu Falls and Makapu'u Lighthouse Trail. Be on the look out.

Don't forget to check back for Wish List Wednesday tomorrow ;-)

Comments