Master Cleanse Fail

If you are someone who is frequently looking for new ways to lose weight, I'm sure you have heard of the Master Cleanse. Now, if you have not heard about this Master Cleanse, then it may be a good thing. The Master Cleanse is basically a modernized version of the ancient concept of detoxing, fasting, or cleansing.

According to the Detox website, the philosophy of the Master Cleanse is.....
 
The digestive system and body are given a rest from the arduous task of digesting foods, so they can have a chance to throw off the toxins and poisons that have been lodged in the body.

So what is the Master Cleanse beyond it's philosophy?

Bascially it is 10 day liquid diet.  Unfortunately, there is nothing appetizing about this 10 day process. It is recommend that you have about 3 to 4 bowel movements a day, so to help make that happen it is suggested that you drink an herbal laxative tea or salt water rinse.

I personally decided to go with the salt water rinse.  You take the rinse first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach. The Detox website states, "Prepare a full quart (1 litre) of lukewarm water and add two level teaspoons of sea salt (more for coarse salt) and drink it first thing in the morning.  You should do this on an empty stomach, and the salt water will cleanse the entire intestinal tract"
Now after you do the rinse or the tea, you can do the "main course." This is the recipe for the Master Cleanse:
  • Two tablespoons of fresh organic lemon or lime juice, (approximately half a lemon). Do not use bottled or canned lemon juice.
  • Two tablespoons of genuine maple syrup . Not Maple flavored sugar syrup.
  • 1/10 teaspoon of cayenne pepper or to taste.
  • 8 ounces of water (250ml), at room temperature
Sounds delicious, doesn't it? Not really...

I tried to do the Master Cleanse today, but unfortunately, my attempt was in vain.  I did the rinse this morning and since my internet was down, I wasn't able to get all the information about the cleanse.  I got to work and found out that I was not prepared for a full day of cleansing.  So I will have to try it tomorrow. 

With this cleanse, you can't eat anything, take any type of supplements or vitamins, or consume any type of juice for ten days.  There are a few variations of this cleanse, but the main drink is the same everywhere I have seen it.  So I will update you tomorrow as to how my first day begins.  From my first attempt, I can tell this is going to be a long 10 days.  If you would like more information check out the Detox site linked above.  So until tomorrow, I'm gonna enjoy my last day of food consumption:-)

Comments