EMPTIES: Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla Leave-In Conditioner

I bought this leave-in conditioner after I had ran out of my Aussie Leave-In Conditioner, hoping that it would become a part of my list of loves of Carol's Daughter's products.  My sister is actually the first one to suggest it to me and since I was going natural at the time (she has been natural for a few years), I thought the "refresher" aspect would work in my favor when I was rocking non-flat ironed hair.

While researching a little bit about the product, I found something interesting on the LiveStrong website. It stated that vanilla "may not have remarkakable skin or hair care benefits." Obviously there are a ton of other ingredients in this leave-in conditioner, but the fact that the product is lead by vanilla it gives some validty to my personal thoughts about this product.

According to the website:
A Gentle, Detangler. Ideal for Dry, Damaged Hair.
We love this because it:
•Restores natural moisture
•Detangles and detoxifies damaged tresses
•Naturally replenishes lost shine with conditioning Nettles
•Restores essential moisture and manageability
•Has Lavender, Honeysuckle and Sage
•Can be used every day
PLUS, it has NO Parabens, Petroleum, Mineral Oil or artificial color.

So what is in this product?

One of the first ingredients listed is panthenol, "which is a hydrating form of vitamin B," according to EHow. The site goes on to state, "panthenol's ability to penetrate render it an excellent ingredient for improving damaged hair, reducing split ends and adding an abundance of shine and texture to hair."

Now, when I searched for information on sodium hyaluronate, most of the websites only talked about its uses in skin products.  The most I could assume is that the water retention aspect of sodium hyaluronate is helpful for retaining your hair's moisture.

Another water retention ingredient in this product is butylene glycol.  This one threw me for a bit of a loop.  Several blogs stated that this product is hazardous to you and that the FDA has had issues with it.  However, according to the FDA and several other websites, butylene glycol is fine for consumption and beauty products.  Now there are regulations but nothing major.

Most of the ingredients added seemed to be for scent more than anything else.

Overall, the product was good  ok and (somewhat) did it's job. But the ultimate question is would I repurchase it? And I would have to say..........

NO

The product, which retails for $12, didn't seem like it did much of anything for my hair other than make it smell good.  Maybe it is one of those products that is doing more good for your hair than what you immediately notice, but I don't think that was the case.  In fact, the product even felt like it was drying out my hair and surely wasn't much of a detangler.

I hate to put down a Carol's Daughter product because I love the concept behind their brand, but this leave in conditioner didn't have anything on the one I've used from Aussie.  If you are looking for a product to just make your hair smell good, then this is for you.  My sister uses this still, religiously, and I just can't see how.  But may it has different results for different hair, if so, it would be the story of my life.

Comments